my life in small blurbs

Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's a marvelous night for a snowdance...

So, apparently NC is going to get snow AGAIN before this winter is over!! I've never heard of such madness! 2-6 inches- which will effectively shut the state down tomorrow. While I love snow, I am a little worried that my promo job is going to be canceled or delayed tomorrow... which would have a very unfortunate side effect on my wallet.

I have quit my Marriott job. I am simply not cut out for cubicle work... I need interaction with people and actual work to do. I do not respond well to catering to the rich and elite. I like average people with real needs to be met. This ultimately will transfer into a career in Social Work... but that dream becomes more and more elusive. They never tell you as a child- as they chant the mantra "shoot for the moon, land on the stars"- that moon expeditions are very pricey! After grabbing a look at my finances and realizing that my idealism most likely will not come to fruition at any point in the near future, due to finances AND getting a call from mi padre announcing his impending retirement within the year, I have made the decision to once again store my dreams of the future and buy his business. This is at least a 5 year commitment- meaning unless I can get into and actually have the time to attempt the MSW/MPH program at Carolina simultaneously, I may have a shot at being an ancient grad scholar and interviewed on some heart-wrenching NPR piece over the next decade.

Until this business transaction gets under way, I am Brand Ambassador-ing, Promo Model-ing, Secret Shopping, and Commission selling, aka 'scrapping to get by.' I did the math and can definitely equal what I was making at Marriott with less hours (more dog time :)) and more job satisfaction, until I make the jump to small business owner.

Wish me luck!

No comments: