my life in small blurbs

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bible Mad Libs

I'm kinda long winded...and I also like really understanding the context of what I'm reading/studying/learning about/interacting with. To me, that's really important... I like making up mini-stories for the Books on Tape narrators, because I don't like the idea of this bodiless voice telling me a story. I wiki everything (yes, wiki is a verb)!

It should come as no surprise that the majority of my 'contribution' to my online Bible study is a daily list of bullet points of things I learned or thought were interesting. I like structure. Sue me. :)

So, I was talking to another member of this study online and we were comparing and contrasting our methods of interacting with God's word. I was explaining that because of this slight neurosis with context and thoroughness, I have to block off a certain amount of time daily to accomplish my reading and posting. If I don't have the time to do it 'properly,' it doesn't get done until I do- which sometimes means I have to make up days and then it's this GIANT chunk of time I am devoting. I mean, don't get me wrong- I love Jesus, but 3 hours in the book of Genesis can be a bit overwhelming.

She was telling me that she just reads and lets whatever hits her... just hit her. And then, according to her, my diatribes 'fill in the blank.' Like Bible Mad Libs. And I was just thinking about what she had said and our differences in approaching The Lord of the Universe and His EPIC conversation with us. Is there a point of study and 'decoding' that you can miss the Spirit of God?

I think that God has blessed me with the proximity of His grace and Spirit as I've started this project, but I think it's important for me to remember... this is not just a great work of literature. It is the Living Word of the Lord of the Universe. May I approach this daily time in a way that desires the SPIRIT of God to fall upon me.

No comments: