my life in small blurbs

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Highs, Lows, and Resolve

So, this Christmas, Will and I were invited to a Christmas dinner of some people that we didn't know very well. We went and they were extremely gracious and hospitable and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (even with 2 of said family members not joining celebrations due to the stomach flu!). As we ate dinner, they went around the table and asked everyone their High and Low of the year. I thought that was pretty neat and quickly begin scouring 2009 for the juciest tidbits. While my low listed here will remain the same, I told Will later that I did not reveal my true High... I'm pretty sure it was not because I was ashamed, but more because I just didn't know these people... and didn't want to get all heavy and over the top at their Christmas dinner. But, here they are...

Low- Hands down, losing Buffy. It was probably the most heart-breaking experience I have ever gone through. I know several of the (2 hehe) readers that come across this blog donated to her treatment. For that, I am infinitely thankful... It gave me another 3.5 months of pretty good health with her. She was such a fantastic dog and I will hold her in my heart forever.

High- For the first time in close to/over a decade, I know EXACTLY where I stand in relation to Christ- and it's under the shadow of the cross. God has been ridiculously patient with me as I stuffed everything this world has to offer in my heart, trying to find the fit that gives peace. He has protected me from myself and shielded me from many of the consequences of my sin. I am thrilled to be finishing out '09 and starting '10 in the Joy of the Lord. I also know that this covering of grace is due in part to the prayers of family and friends. There are no words to express my gratitude at your perseverance.

In light of those revelations, I was struck by the sermon at my church a few weeks ago, which was speaking on the difference between resolve and resolution. Resolve is not a thing, an item, a to do list. Resolve is the grit inside you (and with the help of God) that you apply towards the process of santification. I think you can apply this resolve to many resolutions... even if the resolution does not seem to be actively seeking Christ, in a traditional sense. I believe that this world was created for man to enjoy with God. I believe that anything we do to enjoy creation and surrounding life, while glorifying our Creator is santifying. So, here are some of the things I am resolved to:

1) Reading through the Bible Chronologically in One Year-
As a generation, I believe we have some of the most 'religious' people, who know little to nothing about the doctrine they speak. Following 'debates' on social networking forums regarding religion or politics looks generally the same to me.... spew the jargon of whatever social commentator you happened to catch 5 minutes of while channel surfing. Whether you look to Hannity or Stewart, you allow your entire political identity to be labeled by biased information. Research your opinion! Being liberal in the aughts is like being conservative in the 80's... it's the cool thing to do. Know why you believe what you believe, research positions and platforms, and educate yourself.
The same philosophy applies to religion. KNOW what you believe. KNOW why you believe it. KNOW the God you claim to serve. This knowledge will increase your resolve. I am engaging the Scripture in a group of about 7-8 girls via an online Bible Study to fit our super busy schedules. I am hoping it is just a fantastic experience and God blows away any of our expectations.

2) Quitting Smoking- Uggghh... I quit for 3 years...and started up about a year and a half ago. It is a really nasty habit and I am at the point where I hate the taste and feel of the smoke AS I am doing it. I haven't smoked a cigarette in 2010...and hope to make it through my first week with flying colors... doesn't 7 days make a habit?

3) Get my sewing machine out and set up by Feb 1- I got a sewing machine for my birthday... April 30... and have not taken it out of the box.... I'm really terrible about things like that. I need to get it set up and play around with it, so that I can start ripping up these promo shirts to make my quilt!

4) Set 3 quarterly goals each quarter :) Starting out, my goals through the end of March are to stay strong on reading God's word, be done with the nasty nicotine, and get my sewing machine set up. Once those are established as habit, I can begin looking for other things to change in order to live simply, find joy, and follow God.

No comments: